If you’re new here, I’m Simone and I live in lower Westchester County, the suburbs, right outside of New York City. I was born, raised and did all my schooling here, even college. And before you even think it, no it’s not upstate or the country, it’s just the suburbs. To help further put it in perspective, I work in New York City, it’s a 32-minute metro north train ride in the morning. So really for me, it’s the perfect in-between.
One of my most asked questions is where do I take my pictures? So I wanted to give you all a glimpse into where I spend a lot of my time [and where all my photos origionate]! Also, as my boyfriend and I think about buying a home, I can’t think of anywhere else I would want to live.
10 Reasons Why I Love Living In Westchester County:
- You know your neighbors. The good, bad and the ones who can’t park their car without hitting yours. We all live pretty close to each other in lower Westchester so you’ve got to know whos who!
- It’s only 32 minutes from New York City (by train). It more like 40 minutes by car, but still very quick and easy to get to! I love that lower Westchester is relatively populated [you’re close to your neighbors], yet you still have space. Plus there’s no bridge toll into Manhattan.
- It feels safe. I re-watch way too many episodes of criminal minds and even I feel very comfortable walking around the town that I live in at night.
- Free party space [when it’s nice out]! Most people have backyards, which for parties and just lounging is key for me. I love a good backyard BBQ in the Summertime! There are also plenty of county parks you can go to that have outdoor BBQs too that you can use!
- Nature is everywhere. I love being able to go for a walk on the Bronx River trail on the weekends. My cousin grows raspberries and blueberries in their backyard in the summer, what’s better than that?
- Beaches! There is always a beach close by you can go sit at. Would I go in the water? Eh, probably not but people do. I mean who hasn’t been in the water at Playland’s beach (admit it, once before you knew better, am I right HA!)??
- Driving place to place and parking. I personally hate driving in New York City and New Jersey (the highway signs always confuse me in NJ, anyone else?). But driving around Westchester, although somewhat busy, is way easier. Have you ever tried parking in NYC? If you can even figure out what the maybe sometimes you can park here signs mean, you’ll probably still get a ticket. And parking in a lot all day can cost upwards from $60. Of course in Westchester, you have to pay for parking in some places (like the Mall) but it’s super easy and only $6.
- Calm, quiet and sometimes tranquil. Around 8:00 p.m. at night you can easily hear the trains passing through the station, even from two miles away. You almost never have to worry about hearing any noise from outside your home.
- The Westchester Mall. Is that a horrible reason? I mean, I’ve been to a lot of malls and I still think the Westchester is the best one. Plus they just put in a Juice Generation so you’re never getting me to change my mind now.
- My favorite local restaurants! I’m literally always complaining that there should be more restaurants in Westchester, but the ones that are here I absolutely love. My favorite part is that so many of them are family owned. Some of my favorites include 808 Social, Buratta, Polpettina, Chat, Fortina, Vega… There are so many and now that I’ve listed all those in .2 seconds without even thinking I feel like I eat out way too much! Haha!
So now along with my photos, haven’t my favorite reasons for living in Westchester convinced you to move here?! Well don’t because I don’t need anyone to drive up the house prices any higher than hey already are! That’s probably the one negitive about living here, it’s expensive AF! Ha!